Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Pres. Carter Jumping the Shark

Up front, I'll admit I have NO love for Pres. Carter. It's not his effort with Habitat for Humanity, which I admire nor is it his work on fair elections around the world that cause my disdain. It's his anti-Semitic words and actions toward Israel and his blind faith in Palestinian causes. But that's not the purpose of this blog...

Has Pres. Carter jumped the shark? The phrase comes from an old Happy Days episode where all who watched knew the moment Fonzi jumped a shark while water skiing that the show was over. Is this Carter's moment? I sure hope so.

Carter went on NBC Nightly News and proudly proclaimed that those who currently oppose Pres. Obama are racist. This does not take into consideration the merit of his proposals nor plans, but only supposes opponents are automatically racist. Can you believe it? Almost 53% of America voted for Obama. He enjoyed a 70% approval rating six months ago. Yet, if you oppose him you are branded a racist...

Granted, there are probably at least 10% of America who are out and out racist. This can't be helped. Some people are just plain stupid and nothing you can say or do will change that; probably another 15% are 'uncomfortable' with certain aspect of race issues. I don't know this for a fact, but in my life I've met some fine people who occasionally were a bit squeamish in certain environments or circumstances. However, this does not make them automatically racist, just outside of their comfort zone.

But, Carter goes well beyond comfort zone issues. He paints a broad brush saying:
"I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man, that he's African-American," Carter told "NBC Nightly News." "I live in the South, and I've seen the South come a long way, and I've seen the rest of the country that shares the South's attitude toward minority groups at that time, particularly African-Americans."


Now, I'm not naive enough to think some people oppose Obama because he's African-American. Bigot abound. But please, there of us who oppose the man for his political beliefs and not for the color of his skin.

My issue is massive, unsustainable spending and increasingly engorged government. The moment you have a populous that is a majority working for the government (national, state or local) is the moment we lose our true republic. It will be a government-employer for life...And this doesn't even begin to talk about the healthcare issue!!

I just wish Carter would retire on his porch in "his" racist South and fade away...

Peace

No comments: