Sunday, May 30, 2004

Wipe Out

I was playing 'tennis' with the Boy and Girl in the street on Sunday afternoon. It's something we've done for the last several years. The Boy and I have played it with the Girl chasing the ball in years gone by. Now she's bigger and can play too, although she uses a racquetball racquet. Event's she's about six, she's always been rather athletic. All that said . . . There's nothing like seeing one's wee one running in the street then go face first down on the asphalt . . . Man, that's gotta hurt!!! When I got to her, wailing was building. At first glance, it was less than I feared; I thought I saw her head bounce after the initial fall. Luckily there was no damage to her head. The rest of her was not so lucky . . . I've always feared broken bones with both of them. It's something I never had to deal with since the only broken bones I've had were my ribs playing football. . . When I got to her, I noticed her pinky was at about at 60 degree angle. I feared it was broken but did the obligatory 'squeeze my hand'. The pinky of course didn't move until I gently moved it into place. It appears it was dislocated and not broken!!! At last count is was four bandaids. One big patch was for her 'strawberry' on her elbow. This was by far the biggest one, but nasty none the less. All toll it was a six bandaid kinda day . . .worthy of a big bowl of ice cream.

No comments: