Friday, July 16, 2004

Terror in the Skies

There's quite a buzz in the blogsphere about an article by Annie Jacobsen of WomensWallStreet.com concerning her trip from Detroit to LA. Michelle Malkin has followed it closely. While Donald Sensing remains skeptical.
 
I don't know. . .  I traveled cross country last month and while I was not anxious, I was more attuned to my fellow passengers. This was true especially with folks going to the bathroom. The flight attendants were quite forceful about us lowly coach folks not using the front lavatory. So much so, that when my five year old princess had to go to the bathroom (and I mean GO NOW!!) with the beverage cart blocking the back facility, the Wife dared to take her up to the front. She was met by an unfriendly attendant who barked "this is the first class lavatory, you must use the one in the rear." Well, you don't thwart a Mother Bear when one of her cubs is in distress. . . So, my Bride's response? "Well, if you don't let us use this bathroom right now, you will need to clean up a large puddle of urine . . . Right in the middle of your First Class!!" The attendant capitulated with a harrumph . . .
 
What Ms Jacobsen wrote is not that far fetched to me. However, that being said, at what point do we trash all the years of American society? Oh, wait . . . That's right, we've been down this harrowing path already. Being from the West Coast, I've known members of families interned during WWII. I can truly say I've never been more ashamed than sitting down with a man who's family lost everything just for being of Japanese ancestry. He was Nisei (second generation Japanese-American) and for that he and his family were uprooted and considered a threat.
 
Let's not forget the attitudes towards the Chinese during California early years where they were considered to be a threat. Not to the Country, but to our 'Christian' society.
 
Let's face it folks, while our society may be the best on Earth, we are far from perfect. We are still very Angelo centric. We are now turning our attention again to the East. This time just not so far East. Do we once again lower our selves once again to drastic and rather unpalatible actions? Or do we suffer the 'slings and arrows of misfortune' from the Islamofacists?


No comments: