Friday, August 27, 2004

Israel's First Gold -Rejoice

I know I blogged on this earlier, but I can't help but rejoice further. The unabashed joy of a nation is such a wonder. I still wish I would have been able to hear/see the anthem.

Fridman talked of a Turkish friend he called "my Muslim brother," a friend who in turn called Fridman "my Jewish brother." The windsurfer whose first name means "wave" in Hebrew couldn't understand the decision by Iran's world judo champ, Arash Miresmaeili, to refuse to compete against Israel's Ehud Vaks. Fridman couldn't understand how Iranian president Mohammad Khatami could say Mesmaeili's forfeit should go down "in the history of Iranian glories."

"Only (Miresmaeili) is losing," Fridman said.


The first Olympics I remember as a youth was the horrific ones of Munich. I couldn't understand as one so young why this happened.

Moshe Weinberg was an Israeli wrestling coach. He was 33 years old and had just been married. On Sept. 5, 1972, at the Munich Olympics, terrorists from a group called “Black September” knocked on his door. He shouted for others to run and was shot in the cheek. A few moments later, he jumped on the back of a terrorist who was shooting at wrestler Gad Tsabari. Weinberg was then shot and killed. His body was dumped out on the sidewalk as proof that Black September meant business.

Who said the victors write history?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi MacBoar There I was just cruising the web looking for info on watersports and I happened upon your site. It looks like you have put a lot of work into this post and congratulations, but I'm really looking for info on windsurfing.

Anonymous said...

Hello MacBoar I was just browsing the net looking for stuff on windsurfing gear and came across your site. Although I enjoyed visiting this post it is not really what I'm looking for, but if ever you are looking for some great windsurfing gear, then please visit our site.

Anonymous said...

Hi MacBoar There I was just cruising the web looking for info on surfer t-shirts and I happened upon your site. It looks like you have put a lot of work into this post and congratulations, but I'm really looking for info on windsurfing.