Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Michelle's Internment

Having been born and raised on the West Coast (with a major stop in Texas), I have a certain affinity towards a couple of people. I think I've touched on both of these but for the life of me I couldn't find my references. So, let's start anew. . .

My first awareness of true evil came when I was about 8 yrs old. My single mother befriended a young dentist who was a first generation Armenian. While sitting in his dental office for many hours (my family has REAL soft teeth, not gums just teeth), I came to befriend many folk from his extended family. At one time there were almost as many Armenians in SoCal, than in Armenia proper. These old ladies would sit and spend time with this young lad. I came to hear their story and it was frightening. . .

Later in life, my step-father employed a fellow who was Issei, first generation Japanese. Once again, I spent many quality hours with Imai-san. He is a wonderful man and thoughful man. I came to learn his story which was related first hand. For anyone in SoCal who takes a moment to listen, they can hear the stories. Imai-san's was not the only one retold to me. Everytime it never failed to affect me. . .

Now, living in the Puget Sound, the stories are just as forceful. I live and work in areas where the Nisei (second generation) and Sansei (third generation) lost EVERYTHING. Families who farmed the Puyallup and Kent valleys for generations where forced from their homes with no compensation. Upon returned, their property was confiscated for back taxes . . . rich, eh? You are sent to camps, but the locals say "Sorry, you didn't pay property taxes. So, we'll sell your farm land to compensate us?"

So, that bring us to today . . .Michelle Malkin's latest book has an excerpt that, related to today's environment, caused me to truly pause in my daily life. How does our life today equate to the environment currently surrounding us? ? ? Even after 9/11, I never really heard the call to 'round up the Muslims', so I don't take the implied title of Ms. Malkin's book, In Defense of Internment: The Case for Racial Profiling in World War II and the War on Terror, to heart. I just can't after hearing the stories of both Amenians and Japanese. However, her documentation tries to validate the actions of the Roosevelt administration. It is one event . . . compare this to the thousands of American citizens placed in camps just for race/ethnicity! ! !

I may agree with some of Michelle's opinions on illegal aliens; I just can't fathom what we did to Americans during WWII, while even entertaining the possibilities of doing this to Muslims. I may not be satisfied with the support of Moderate Muslims, but I can not condone locking up one ethnic/religious group out of fear. . . I'd rather kick some pre-emptive ass than lock up families and confiscate property.

2 comments:

Dave Justus said...

I don't have any first hand expirience talking with Japanese internees but I have always been convinced that what happened in WWII to them was wrong.

I also have not yet read Michelle Malkin's book. I have read some articles by her and seen her on a couple of T.V. shows and she presents some interesting arguements that the story of the Japanese internment we all know isn't the whole truth. I have always been taught that it was pure racism with no redeaming reason behind it and Malkin tries to destroy that arguement.

I don't think anything could convince me that the Internment was correct, but I do think it is important to know the whole story, not just selected parts of it.

Also, It is my understanding that Malkin is NOT advocating internment of Arabs or Muslims, just a bit more rational response to the nature of the threat we face. Seems to me that we should look a little more closely at tourists from Pakistan than at tourists from Japan today, not because all Pakistani are terrorist or evil, but because some are and they do wish us harm. This should of course be done in a respectful, sensible manner. And American citizens, regardless of racial background, should be treated as citizens until good evidence is found that they may be criminals.

MacBoar said...

Dave, I agree. Just because there is a trend, doesn't mean it's racism.