Friday, November 19, 2004

Bill Cosby - Voice of Reason

Man, ya gotta love Bill Cosby!!! For the past year or so, he's been on a lecture tour chastising the African-American youth and their parents. I love it!! Where have Rev. Jackson, 'Rev'. Sharpton or ANYBODY else been!!!! I don't believe it's a racial issue, I believe it's a social one. But I do believe the ONLY people who can address it are the African-American leaders.

Here's an article addressing the unwed mothers issue:
Indeed, the birth rate among unmarried non-Hispanic whites (22.9 percent in 202, up from 22.5 percent the previous year) is higher than that 22 percent black rate of four decades ago. By way of contrast, the white birth rate among unmarried women was 16.9 percent in 1990, and 1.9 percent in 1956.

That's from an UPI (are they even still around?) article on Unwed Mothers. This is a clear example of this being a social issue rather than a racial one.

Being from a single parent home for much of my youth, I can relate to much of that environment. However, I did have a supporting cast which was there for me when I strayed. But today, most young unwed mothers either rely upon their mothers to help raise the children or they struggle to do it themselves. Either way it's tough.

As a parent, sometimes you have to be firm and tell the truth. This is one of those times.


No comments: