Monday, November 22, 2004

Racism from the Tolerant - part deux

As from my previous rant, I found it the height of hypocrisy for some white dude from Wisconsin to call Condi Rice an 'Aunt Jemima' after all of her accomplishments. Now he's issued an apology....Well kinda (tip: Michael King):

I'm concerned that I have offended many African-Americans by using a crass term to describe an incompetent, dishonest political appointee of the Bush administration. I apologize. I know the term "Aunt Jemima" is not complimentary to African-American women who have worked so hard and yet receive so little from our great country.

I will not, however, apologize for pointing out that while Rice has clearly enjoyed the American dream, she has allowed herself to be used as a black trophy by an administration that is working hard to deny that dream to other African-American omen.

[...]

The Bush administration has created what I call the "illusion of inclusion." They've appointed Colin Powell and now Rice to prominent positions, but in Powell's case, they ignored his advice, stabbed him in the back and ran him out of town. Rice's situation is more complicated. She appears to be close to the president personally, but takes her marching orders from Rumsfeld and Cheney.


How insulting...Who is this chump? Does he really speak for the African American community in Wisconsin? If that's true, man are they lost.

At least he brings up the issue of Mark Belling's suspension:
Some compare my remarks to Milwaukee radio host Mark Belling's comments referring to Hispanics as "wetbacks." Nothing could be further from the truth. While I support Belling's right to say what he did, his remarks were meant to spread resentment against an entire group of people who happened to be Hispanics living on the south side of Milwaukee.

What? Isn't Sly's comments meant to sow resentment through the state (and beyond) of Wisconsin??? What CRAP!

No comments: