Friday, June 11, 2004

Reagan Services

I'm just going to jot down a lil' something on the Reagan Eulogies. In all honesty, I really didn't pay much attention this morning. I was consumed with getting the Boy and the Girl ready for their last day of school!! All two hours of it . . . I just didn't get that until the Wise Wife explained "Silly boy, it's for signing the Annuals!"
All that said, it wasn't til this evening when Ronnie went back home that I paid much attn to what was going on today. I mean, I checked out the Today show this morning and saw some of the pomp and circumstance. It was nice . . .

But this evening I turned on the TV to assist in my daily evening chore of making the Wonderful Wife's lunch for the night, when I came upon the West Coast version of the eulogy. It stopped me in my tracks . . .

On the screen was Michael Reagan, it must have been at the beginning of his eulogy. It was amazing. It was one of the heart wrenching, heart felt solilquies I've ever heard. It gave a 'human' touch to all the reflection the country has been force fed this week. First off, I didn't know he was adopted. There must be something there I'm not hip to since both he and Maureen were both adopted my him. Weren't they from his first marriage? I just don't remember.

Next came Judy. Man, she looked strung out. She tried, but just seemed dislocated.

Finally, Ron Reagan's turn. He too gave a remarkable eulogy. It was peppered with humor and reflection. He went of on what could be perceived as a political tangent for just a moment concerning religion and the imposition of it in politics, but it was just a flash.

It was wrapped up in the pomp of the moment, but I'll tell you . . . Amazing Grace played on bag pipes makes me well up EVERY time. In fact, Amazing Grace is what does it. I hope to be able to sing AG for Grandmother when it's her time to be received into the arms of God. . .

Anyway, the rest was just heart wrenching. No matter what your political taste, this was truly amazing.

No comments: